one of my january goals was to make a meal in the crock-pot.
and one of my 101 goals is to make 10+ crock-pot meals.
every two weeks, we get a csa box FULL of winter root veggies.
i am not a huge vegetable fan [i eat them, but id prefer other stuff, if i had a choice ;)], but we have tons and tons of rutabagas and no idea what to do with them.
[do you have any rutabaga recipes?! please leave them in the comments!!!]
the soup//stew of the day?
minnesota wild rice root vegetable stew
loosely adapted from here // all vegan modifications made by me
you need :
*1/4 teaspoon salt
*1/4 teaspoon pepper
*1/2 cup of wild rice
*3 tablespoons olive oil
*1 large onion, chopped
*1 cup carrots, chopped
*1 cup rutabaga, chopped & peeled
*1 package of tomato soup [we use the boxed organic soup from whole foods]
*1 cup of unflavored almond milk
*2 cloves of garlic, chopped
*a few sprigs of sage [ours was fresh]
how to do it :
1) turn your crock-pot on high ; pour soup or broth in pot.
2) chop onion & garlic, add to crock-pot
3) chop & peel all other veggies, boil in a pot of hot water to soften them up ; about 10 minutes//til tender.
4) prepare wild rice as instructed on package.
5) add everything to crock-pot // add spices & salt and pepper to taste.
6) let simmer on high for one hour in crock-pot, stirring occasionally
7) serve once you have reached desired temp//taste.
ours was really good and really filling.
crock-pot meals are pretty easy and pretty hard to mess up.
the directions are pretty free-flowing.
thanks for reading!
ps : today is the LAST DAY to enter the giveaway!!