Pages var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-1743

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

honestly? modest is hottest

so, i found this quote floating around Pinterest yesterday, and I just had to share [and talk about it!]

there is an interview that was done with emma watson ; and she was talking about sex appeal and hollywood.

"I find the whole concept of being ‘sexy’ embarrassing and confusing. If I do an interview with photographs people desperately want to change me - dye my hair blonder, pluck my eyebrows, give me a fringe. Then there’s the choice of clothes. I know everyone wants a picture of me in a mini-skirt. But that’s not me. I feel uncomfortable. I’d never go out in a mini-skirt. It’s nothing to do with protecting the Hermione image. I wouldn’t do that. Personally, I don’t actually think it’s even that sexy. What’s sexy about saying, ‘I’m here with my boobs out and a short skirt, have a look at everything I’ve got?’ My idea of sexy is that less is more. The less you reveal the more people can wonder. - Emma Watson


[*also, i looked and looked for the actual source of this photo/interview, and i couldnt find it. so if you know where it is, help a sister out...*]


this is powerful to me.
really : a sun dress and some flats is way cuter than posting your girl parts all over facebook.


i am 27 and i know far too many girls/women that struggle with negative body image, over-exercising, binge eating, starving themselves and eating their feelings [and everyone else's..] blake and i were out for a run last night and we had such a long talk about this.


and then i found an article from the dec/jan 2011 issue of bon appetit where mark bittman [hes a really big deal in terms of veg cooking/lifestyle] is talking about tips for a better, more healthy life.


he offers 5 food rules that people should be following..
[stay with me here, i know i dont usually post about stuff like this, but recently i have encountered so many women that hate what they look like and are going to extremes to fix it ; only to fail and fall deeper into a rut..]


[all quotes are from bittman]


1) go [mostly] vegan : 'from the time i wake up until dinner, i eat [almost] like a vegan. not only do i cut out animal products [with the exception of milk in my coffee], i eat no processed foods at all, including no white flour, white rice, pasta and sugar. instead i fill up on fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans and nuts.'
2) minimize the meat : 'dinner is not too heavy, but omnivorous. it has more vegetables and grains than the typical american diet. i eat meat or fish many nights, but in smaller amounts than in my former life. wine is encouraged. dessert is most definitely allowed.'
3) weigh it out : 'i watch my weight. once you settle in on your ideal weight [except for the 5 pounds we all think we need to lose], its easy to monitor and control.'
4) cut yourself some slack : 'no individual meal matters. no individual day matters. even a 'bad' week doesnt matter much. this might be the most important rule, and it took me months to recognize this. what does matter is that the pattern of my diet has moved from one thats heavy on animal products and processed food to one thats dominated by unprocessed plant food.'
5) make it your own : 'these rules are mine. regard them as guidelines to create your own rules, using rule number 4 as your guiding principle, and figure out what works best for you.'


thanks for reading this.
i know you didnt come to a craft blog to read about this, but we have all been there. we have all had a bad 'body day'. we have all eaten too many chocolate chips out of the bag [me. MOM!]. but the point is, fueling your body with amazing stuff will make you feel amazing.











also : go see me around the blog universe : 
1) jess is one of my [cool!] pen pals ; and she just got my package yesterday.
go see.


2) and sara is blogging about harry potter ALL week. 
i am over there today showing off a few of my fave hp-related items from pinterest.


bye.