Pages var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-1743

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

: a book review AND a winner! :

happy tuesday.
are you good?
ready for holiday break?
yesterday i had a TWO HOUR massage to reward myself for how far i have come this year [blog+facebook+twitter = almost 700 readers!! thats ridiculous!!] and let me tell you ; that massage was AMAZING. i needed it. and it felt so great. all day i was so relaxed. [i actually fell asleep on the living room floor ;)]

we have a winner! congrats to #20 ; kimberly [!!] for winning the axe necklace from chrys!
[her stuff is so cute]

today i have lauren on the blog talking about a book she read AND one i want to read!
here we go :
_______________________________________________________________________________
Hi everyone! I'm Lauren and I blog over at Adventures in Flip Flops about food, adventures, and books! If you're interested, you can find my list of books here, and my list of reviews here. When Diana contacted me about possibly doing a guest post, I was STOKED! I love writing guest posts. But, I wasn't sure what to write about and sent a sort of vague e-mail about possible doing a book review.

When Diana suggested The Town that Food Saved because of one of my Pinterest boards I did one of those forehead smack things. Of course, it's perfect!


I originally picked up this book for my community development class last fall. It was a graduate seminar and we discussed this book from the viewpoint of community: what is community, do these folks display community, etc. It gave quite the interesting perspective and allowed me to think about neighborhoods and people in an entirely new way.


The Town That Food Saved is a descriptive and analytical book of sorts. Hewitt describes how Hardwick, Vermont (and the surrounding areas) revitalized its economy by bringing in local, small agriculture. That is, ethically raised animals, a seed company, artisan cheese makers, a local restaurant that serves only organic food, etc. Throughout these folks describe their journeys, their feelings on food, their critiques of our food systems and their own local dynamic.


He does an excellent job of showing the progression of the Hardwick economy into local agriculture, and of representing just how hard it is to have that kind of basis for a town. I enjoyed reading this narrative and it completely changed the way I think about locally produced food, especially how hard it is to have an economy based on local agriculture. Organic food is expensive and even though Hardwick has many dedicated growers and providers, the local ag economy still doesn't provide enough for everyone to live organically if they wanted to.


If you are interested in anything resembling sustainable agriculture, organic agriculture or local business I absolutely recommend this book. It's well-written an easy-to-read, and gives a wonderful perspective on small towns, agriculture, and how our food systems affect us at the most basic level.
_______________________________________________________________________________
thanks so much, lauren!
what books are you reading right now?
[i am currently reading this book and this book!]