Pages var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-1743

Monday, July 23, 2012

: vegan meal of the week : vegan-friendly chili :

Hi Diana's readers! My name is Jess and I blog over at PrettyPhysicist. I am in my late twenties and married to the love of my life. We don't have kids [yet] but we have 4 fur babies - cats named Callie, Mittens, Autumn, and Einstein. They are my life. I love to cook and read. I currently work in an all-male field [engineering], but I always ask myself "Who says smart can't be pretty?". I love beauty and fashion, but cooking is my true passion. If I could quit my job and cook for a living, I think I would.


Since I work full-time, some nights I am just too tired to make dinner. I'd rather not do takeout every night [my waistline and wallet won't thank me for that], so I had to come up with some quick and easy dinners. One of my all-time favorites [and my husband's favorites] is my chili. I make it with meat, because that's how he likes it, but it can be easily made into a vegan chili by not including the meat. It is hearty enough without it. It usually makes 4-6 big servings.

Quick and Easy Chili



Ingredients:
1 onion diced
1 jalapeƱo diced
1 tsp EVOO
1 lb ground turkey breast [you can omit to make it vegan/vegetarian]
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes, drained if desired [I use the kind with jalapeƱos or chiles because we love spicy]
Chili powder to taste [I use Chili 3000 from Pensey's Spices]
Crushed red pepper flakes [I use the Very Hot Crushed Red Peppers from Penzey's Spices]

Directions:
1. Heat the EVOO over medium heat.
2. Brown the ground turkey.
3. Add onion and peppers and cook until soft.
4. Add beans and tomatoes, simmer for at least 20 minutes, but the longer it simmers, the better it is.


I like to serve it with shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips (for my husband) or over brown rice (for me), but you can eat it however you like.

Thanks for reading! If you make it, stop by my blog and let me know what you think!
___________________________________________________________________________
stay connected with jess! 
even though its been super hot [everywhere on the planet!] lately, i still love a good bowl of chili!
ps : today, we are on day 2. our route // towns // milage are here.