happy monday, everybody!
it was 56* when i took daphne outside this morning ; i love it!!
did you have a great weekend?
tomorrow, i have a HUGE blog announcement ; so be sure to stop back!
today, i wanted to share a super-simple refrigerator pickles recipe.
we have tons [and tons!] of cucumbers from our CSA & i wanted [needed?] to use them up.
my mom shared this old family recipe with me & they turned out super amazing!
fridge pickles are easy! you dont need gallons of boiling water & there is no need to go out and buy new lids // jars. these make a simple snack or a nice side for a summer-y dinner dish!
easy refrigerator pickles
makes 9-10 half-pints
what you need :
* 7 cups cucumbers [sliced thin!]
* 1 cup onion ; thinly sliced
* 1 c green pepper ; thinly sliced
* 1 tsp celery seed
* 1 tbsp salt
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 cup vinegar [i used white rice vinegar]
* a couple shakes of peppercorns
how to do it :
1) mix cucumbers, onion, pepper, peppercorns and celery seed in large bowl ; sprinkle with salt
2) cover the bowl & let stand for one hour [i left mine out on the counter]
3) heat sugar and vinegar until they JUST start to boil [turn the heat off when you see the first bubble!], be sure to keep stirring to prevent your sugar from pooling // burning on the bottom!
4) pack pickles in jar [i used half-pint jars] ; pour syrup over pickles & put the lids on
5) let sit in the fridge overnight & then DIG IN!
*it is best to eat these pickles within a month or so!*
and, i know its blurry, but i just have to leave you with one *great* picture!
somebody is starting to dress like me...