i have been feeling 'meh' & slightly uninspired lately ; more on that later [maybe].
today, i have vanessa here sharing a super simple project.
here we go :
A set of curtains is a great first-project for beginners on the sewing machine. This is the second set of curtains I've sewn for my home, and I can't wait to make a third.
The quantity of fabric can be overwhelming for some people, but if you take this step by step and follow the instructions, it's a breeze.
[I originally found this sewing guide in 2009 here. ]
How to sew easy curtains:
- Measure the window. Multiply the width x2 for the length of the fabric. Add 8" to the height.
- Cut your fabric to desired length. You should have two panels.
- Fold each side and the bottom 1", then 1" again and sew 1/2" from the edges. (Basically down the middle.)
- Fold the top down 1", then another 1" (like the sides and bottom). Pin this fabric, then fold down an additional 3" and transfer all pins to capture all three layers.
- Sew right down the middle.
- Sew 1" from the top to form the rod pocket. (I like to leave a little extra room and sew 1.25" - 1.5" depending on the look I'm going for.)
Voila! You have curtains!
one of the things i am looking forward to once we own a home is all the decorating and diy projects i can do!!
have you ever sewn curtains before?!